Monday, March 31, 2014

Getting my feet wet with invasive attacks, part 2: The attack

This is part 2 of a 2-part series. Part 1, Target Recon, is here.

Once I knew what all of the wires in the ZIA did, the next step was to plan an attack to read signals out.

I decapped an XC2C32A with concentrated sulfuric acid and soldered it to my dev board to verify that it was alive and kicking.

Simple CR-II dev board with integrated FTDI USB-JTAG
After testing I desoldered the sample and brought it up to campus to introduce it to some 30 keV Ga+ ions.

I figured that all of the exposed packaging would charge, so I'd need to coat the sample with something. I normally used sputtered Pt but this is almost impossible to remove after deposition so I decided to try evaporated carbon, which can be removed nicely with oxygen plasma among other things.

I suited up for the cleanroom and met David Frey, their resident SEM/FIB expert, in front of the Zeiss 1540 FIB system. He's a former Zeiss engineer who's very protective of his "baby" and since I had never used a FIB before there was no way he was going to let me touch his, so he did all of the work while I watched. (I don't really blame him... FIB chambers are pretty cramped and it's easy to cause expensive damage by smashing into something or other. Several SEMs I've used have had one detector or another go offline for repair after a more careless user broke something.)

The first step was to mill a hole through the 900 nm or so of silicon nitride overglass using the ion beam.

Newly added via, not yet filled
Once the via was drilled and it appeared we had made contact with the signal trace, it was time to backfill with platinum. The video below is sped up 10x to avoid boring my readers ;)


Metal deposition in a FIB is basically CVD: a precursor gas is injected into the chamber near the sample and it decomposes under the influence of beam-generated secondary electrons.

Once the via was filled we put down a large (20 μm square) square pad we could hit with an electrical probe needle.

Probe pad
Once everything was done and the chamber was vented I removed the carbon coating with oxygen plasma (the cleanroom's standard photoresist removal process), packaged up my sample, went home, and soldered it back to the board for testing. After powering it up... nothing! The device was as dead as a doornail, I couldn't even get a JTAG IDCODE from it.

I repeated the experiment a week or two later, this time soldering bare stub wires to the pins so I could test by plugging the chip into a breadboard directly. This failed as well, but watching my benchtop power supply gave me a critical piece of information: while VCCINT was consuming the expected power (essentially zero), VCCIO was leaking by upwards of 20 mA.

This ruled out beam-induced damage as I had not been hitting any of the I/O circuitry with the ion beam. Assuming that the carbon evaporation process was safe (it's used all the time on fragile samples, so this seemed a reasonably safe assumption for the time being), this left only the plasma clean as the potential failure point.

I realized what was going on almost instantly: the antenna effect. The bond wire and leadframe connected to each pad in the device was acting as an antenna and coupling some of the 13.56 MHz RF energy from the plasma into the input buffers, blowing out the ESD diodes and input transistors, and leaving me with a dead chip.

This left me with two possible ways to proceed: removing the coating by chemical means (a strong oxidizer could work), or not coating at all. I decided to try the latter since there were less steps to go wrong.

Somewhat surprisingly, the cleanroom staff had very limited experience working with circuit edits - almost all of their FIB work was process metrology and failure analysis rather than rework, so they usually coated the samples.

I decided to get trained on RPI's other FIB, the brand-new FEI Versa 3D. It's operated by the materials science staff, who are a bit less of the "helicopter parent" type and were actually willing to give me hands-on training.

FEI Versa 3D SEM/FIB
The Versa can do almost everything the older 1540 can do, in some cases better. Its one limitation is that it only has a single-channel gas injection system (platinum) while the 1540 is plumbed for platinum, tungsten, SiO2, and two gas-assisted etches.

After a training session I was ready to go in for an actual circuit edit.

FIB control panel
The Versa is the most modern piece of equipment I've used to date: it doesn't even have the classical joystick for moving the stage around. Almost everything is controlled by the mouse, although a USB-based knob panel for adjusting magnification, focus, and stigmators is still provided for those who prefer to turn something with their fingers.

Its other nice feature is the quad-image view which lets you simultaneously view an ion beam image, an e-beam image, the IR camera inside the chamber (very helpful for not crashing your sample into a $10,000 objective lens!), and a navigation camera which displays a top-down optical view of your sample.

The nav-cam has saved me a ton of time. On RPI's older JSM-6335 FESEM, the minimum magnification is fairly high so I find myself spending several minutes moving my sample around the chamber half-blind trying to get it under the beam. With the Versa's nav-cam I'm able to set up things right the first time.

I brought up both of the beams on the aluminum sample mounting stub, then blanked them to try a new idea: Move around the sample blind, using the nav-cam only, then take single images in freeze-frame mode with one beam or the other. By reducing the total energy delivered to the sample I hoped to minimize charging.

This strategy was a complete success, I had some (not too severe) charging from the e-beam but almost no visible charging in the I-beam.

The first sample I ran on the Versa was electrically functional afterwards, but the probe pad I deposited was too thin to make reliable contact with. (It was also an XC2C64A since I had run out of 32s). Although not a complete success, it did show that I had a working process for circuit edits.

After another batch of XC2C32As arrived, I went up to campus for another run. The signal of interest was FB2_5_FF: the flipflop for function block 2 macrocell 5. I chose this particular signal because it was the leftmost line in the second group from the left and thus easy to recognize without having to count lines in a bus.

The drilling went flawlessly, although it was a little tricky to tell whether I had gone all the way to the target wire or not in the SE view. Maybe I should start using the backscatter detector for this?

Via after drilling before backfill
I filled in the via and made sure to put down a big pile of Pt on the probe pad so as to not repeat my last mistake.

The final probe pad, SEM image
Seen optically, the new pad was a shiny white with surface topography and a few package fragments visible through it.

Probe pad at low mag, optical image
At higher magnification a few slightly damaged CMP filler dots can be seen above the pad. I like to use filler metal for focusing and stigmating the ion beam at milling currents before I move to the region of interest because it's made of the same material as my target, it's something I can safely destroy, and it's everywhere - it's hard to travel a significant distance on a modern IC without bumping into at least a few pieces of filler metal.

Probe pad at higher magnification, optical image. Note damaged CMP filler above pad.
I soldered the CPLD back onto the board and was relieved to find out that it still worked! The next step was to write some dummy code to test it out:

`timescale 1ns / 1ps
module test(clk_2048khz, led);

 //Clock input
 (* LOC = "P1" *) (* IOSTANDARD = "LVCMOS33" *)
 input wire clk_2048khz;
 
 //LED out
 (* LOC = "P38" *) (* IOSTANDARD = "LVCMOS33" *)
 output reg led = 0;
 
 //Don't care where this is placed
 reg[17:0] count = 0;
 always @(posedge clk_2048khz)
  count <= count + 1;
  
 //Probe-able signal on FB2_5 FF at 2x the LED blink rate
 (* LOC = "FB2_5" *) reg toggle_pending = 0;
 always @(posedge clk_2048khz) begin
  if(count == 0)
   toggle_pending <= !toggle_pending;
 end
 
 //Blink the LED
 always @(posedge clk_2048khz) begin
  if(toggle_pending && (count == 0))
   led <= !led;
 end

endmodule


This is a 20-bit counter that blinks a LED at ~2 Hz from a 2048 KHz clock on the board. The second-to-last stage of the counter (so ~4 Hz) is constrained to FB2_5, the signal we're probing.

After making sure things still worked I attached the board's plastic standoffs to a 4" scrap silicon wafer with Gorilla Glue to give me a nice solid surface I could put on the prober's vacuum chuck.

Test board on 4" wafer
Earlier today I went back to the cleanroom. After dealing with a few annoyances (for example, the prober with a wide range of Z axis travel, necessary for this test, was plugged into the electrical test station with curve tracing capability but no oscilloscope card) I landed a probe on the bond pad for VCCIO and one on ground to sanity check things. 3.3V... looks good.

Moving carefully, I lifted the probe up from the 3.3V bond pad and landed it on my newly added probe pad.

Landing a probe on my pad. Note speck of dirt and bent tip left by previous user. Maybe he poked himself mounting the probe?
It took a little bit of tinkering with the test unit to figure out where all of the trigger settings were, but I finally saw a ~1.8V, 4 Hz squarewave. Success!

Waveform sniffed from my probe pad
There's still a bit of tweaking needed before I can demo it to my students (among other things, the oscilloscope subsystem on the tester insists on trying to use the 100V input range, so I only have a few bits of ADC precision left to read my 1.8V waveform) but overall the attack was a success.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Dr Andrew, we would like to seek your permission to use some of the images from this post for educational purposes. Could you drop me an email so that I can share more details? Thank you!

    ReplyDelete